Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3657: Abbey D'Agnostino, Nikki Hamblin and the Olympic Spirit - Body Language and Emotional Intelligence (VIDEO, PHOTOS)

Today in Rio, the Olympic spirit was exemplified in rare fashion. About two-thirds of the way through the women's semifinal 5,000 meter race, Nikki Hamblin of New Zealand got tripped up causing Abbey D'Agnostino, who was just behind Hamblin, to fall on top of her. Abbey D'Agnostino then helped Hamblin up off the track before again falling back down herself. Nikki Hamblin then returned her kindness.

Although injured and shaken, both Hamblin and D'Agnostino both completed the race, finishing with times far below their personal bests.

After the race the women hugged. Note that during the embrace Abbey D'Agnostino's eyes are closed (Hamblin's eyes, of course, cannot be seen from this angle).

From a nonverbal perspective, we keep our eyes closed with hugs during times of increased sincerity. Most people are unaware that a full 40% of the mass of the human brain is dedicated to the visual system. Moreover 90% of our sensory input is visual. The other four senses - smell, taste, touch and hearing and must 'compete for' the remaining 10%. Intriguingly when we close our eyes - there is a slight decrease of electrical-chemical activity as well as a small down-regulation of blood flow which occurs in the visual portion of our brains - while simultaneously the acuity of our other four senses is immediately and temporarily heightened. This is also true of both the cognitive and emotional portions of the brain.

Thus by simply closing our eyes, we increase the brain's ability to feel emotions more deeply - in addition to becoming more mindful and fully present in that moment.

What other signal of sincerity is exampled in this moment?

See also:

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3656: Usain Bolt, Justin Gatlin and the 100 M Olympic Final

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3654: Hope Solo Calls Swedish Team "Cowards" after US Loss in Rio

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3650: Donald Trump: "Although the Second Amendment people maybe there is, I dunno" - Veiled Threats & Body Language Tells

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3641: How Marina Joyce is like Donald Trump

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3604: Nigel Farage, Jean-Claude Juncker, The Brexit and "Why Are You Here?"

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3573: Angela Merkel, the G7 and Destroying Rapport

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3555: Enter 007 - Tom Hiddleston will be the Next James Bond 

Nonverbal Communication Analysis No. 3473: Adele's Tongue, Ellen DeGeneres and Body Language